For Immediate Release: February 12, 2024
Contact: Michael Earls at [email protected]
TheDream.US Celebrates 10 Years of Empowering Dreamers’ College and Career Success
Washington, DC – TheDream.US, the nation’s largest college access and success program for immigrant youth, celebrated its tenth anniversary last week at an event at the National Museum of American History. Over the past decade, TheDream.US has provided more than 10,000 college scholarships to Dreamers with and without DACA or TPS, including to nearly 4,000 Scholars who are now college graduate alumni.
Actress and comedian Cristela Alonzo served as the host for the tenth anniversary celebration, which featured speeches from TheDream.US Scholars and alumni, reflections from TheDream.US President & CEO Gaby Pacheco and TheDream.US co-founders Henry Muñoz, Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, and Don Graham; and even one of the organization’s Alumna, Cesia Bulnes, singing the national anthem. Watch a powerful 10-Year Anniversary Video featured at TheDream.US event last night HERE or watch shorter 30-second and 60-second versions).
Gaby Pacheco, president and CEO of TheDream.US said: “TheDream.US started during an era of relative optimism for Dreamers, which in many ways feels different than today’s environment. Yet alongside the very real challenges and frustrations regarding Dreamers’ continued uncertainty and barriers are reasons for hope, optimism, and even inspiration that we were proud to celebrate at our tenth anniversary. While much of the news about immigration remains dispiriting, it was uplifting to be reminded what progress really can look like and to hear from some of our TheDream.US Scholars and alumni at our tenth anniversary celebration. They, and the rest of our 10,000 Scholars and alumni, are a testament to our program and a reminder of why our mission remains so critical. We thank all who have supported us during our first ten years and look forward to working with allies both new and old to build on our first decade of empowering Dreamers’ success and expanding their opportunities.”
Throughout this tenth anniversary year, TheDream.US will be building on the first decade of empowering Dreamers, including by:
- Embarking on an ambitious $10 million fundraising campaign, focused on diversifying and broadening its donor base. If you are able, please donate to TheDream.US today at www.TheDream.US/donate
- Releasing TheDream.US 10 Year report documenting success. A forthcoming report will assess the first decade of operations and provide essential data on progress and success of TheDream.US Scholars and alumni – in the process underscoring the importance of strengthening and expanding opportunities for Dreamers.
- Continuing its application round to support the higher education needs of Dreamers with and without DACA. The current application round for TheDream.US National Scholarship is open through February 29, 2024 – help spread the word and learn more HERE
- Spreading word about TheDream.US and our mission to new allies. You can help start that process by sharing our 10th Anniversary video and website with anyone committed to Dreamers’ college and career success.
- To view highlights and key moments from TheDream.US 10-Year Anniversary celebration, visit our social channels: @thedream_us (Instagram) or TheDream.US (Facebook). Search for more content with #TheDreamUS and #TheDreamUS10. And visit the 10-year anniversary section of website HERE
- TheDream.US is the nation’s largest college and career success program for undocumented immigrant students, having provided more than 10,000 college scholarships to Dreamers attending over 80 partner colleges in 21 states and Washington, DC. We believe everyone, regardless of where they were born, should have equitable access to a college education, a meaningful career, and opportunities to contribute to the communities they call home. For more information on TheDream.US, visit www.thedream.us